One of social media’s brilliant, but less talked about benefits is the ability to make you look, well, a bit inept. In particular, Twitter has more social codes attached to it than a Jane Austen novel. From my travels around the Twittersphere, here’s my top ten tweeting faux pas:
1) Set yourself up with a Twit Validation account – this will ensure that other twitterers really know you are a twit.
2) Set up an automated reply that pretends to be personal – to make your followers feel really special.
3) Follow 10 x as many people as are following you – @desperate #clearlyunpopular.
4) Block retweet 10 article links at 9.11 am.
5) Tweet a link to a page that’s behind a paywall – how annoying is that?
6) Include a bio that says OMG or Bubbly or Martial Arts Fan – Twitter is not a dating site.
7) Use a profile picture taken at the Christmas office party.
8 )Never reveal anything remotely personal, ever.
9) Make every @someone tweet a sales pitch.
10) Tweet when drunk or angry (unless you’re Giles Coren, in which case, bravo).
Do you have any Twitter bug bears? Let me know in the comments section.